You don’t need to be from New Orleans to love my Keto King Cake. My low carb king cake recipe has an amazing cream cheese filling that is perfect for your Fat Tuesday Celebrations!
Ingredients Needed in our Recipe
Tips on buying sour cream.
Sour cream can be found in the refrigerator section of the supermarket. Double check the ingredient label to make sure nothing is added (sugar, etc).
Tips on cooking with sour cream.
Always make sure to cook on LOW HEAT when using sour cream. Sour cream can curdle.
Purchase REAL vanilla extract.
Eggs and egg yolk
Tips on buying eggs.
When buying eggs, be sure to open the container to make sure all the eggs are intact. Check the date on the label to make sure the eggs are not expired.
Always store eggs in the refrigerator.
How long will eggs last?
As long as eggs are refrigerated, they will last four to five weeks beyond the packed date.
Tips on buying butter.
Always, always look for 100% butter. My favorite brand is Kerry Gold but many of our supermarkets carry their own brand of 100% butter.
Store almond flour in a tightly sealed container. Almond flour should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
How long will almond flour last?
I love to use Redmond Real Salt, but I invite you to use your favorite salt in this recipe.
Swerve Granular and Confectioners Sugar
Swerve is my favorite sugar replacer. Swerve is made from the ingredients of various fruits and starchy vegetables, non-GMO, and contains no artificial ingredients.
Tips on Buying Swerve.
Find Swerve at your local supermarkets and Drug Emporium.
While Swerve is sold in a ‘ziplock’ style package making storage super easy, I usually pour Swerve into a container and store it in my pantry.
How to Use Swerve in Cooking?
While on the package, it states Swerve is a 1 to 1 ratio to sugar, but I have to disagree. So that my recipe does not taste overly sweet, I usually pull out ¼ - ½ of Swerve before using in my recipe. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, I typically use ½ - ¾ cup of Swerve.
Heavy Whipping Cream
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- You have an amazing low carb dessert to celebrate the Mardi Gras season.
- It’s made with simple, pantry-friendly, supermarket ingredients.
- The taste is AMAZE!
How to Make Keto King Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Line an 8 x 8 pan with non-stick aluminum foil or parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl combine sour cream, water, vanilla extract, eggs, egg yolk, and butter.
Beat with a hand mixer on low for 2 minutes.
Turn off the mixer and slowly add almond flour, ¼ cup Swerve granular sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine with a spatula.
Beat for 2 minutes on low or until all ingredients are combined. Place aside.
In a separate small bowl, combine cream cheese, Swerve granular sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes.
Layer in a baking pan the following pattern: ½ flour mixture, cream cheese mixture, and remaining ½ flour mixture in pan.
Place in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes OR until set.
While cooling, mix heavy whipping cream and Swerve confectioners sugar in a small bowl. Pour glaze on cheesecake.
Sprinkle with Swerve colored sugars.
Cut into small bars and serve!
How Do I Make Swerve Colored Sugars?
Place 1-2 tablespoons of Swerve granular sugar in a ziploc bag.
Sprinkle in 1-2 drops of food coloring.
Shake the bag until all Swerve granular sugar is colored.
How to Store Leftovers?
Leftovers? Seriously? No way you will have leftovers! If you have leftover, be sure to store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
Can I Freeze this Recipe?
Individually wrap each bar with Saran Wrap and place in a tightly sealed container OR freezer bag then place in the freezer.
What Can I Do with Leftovers?
Do I really need to talk about this!!! Pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy a leftover piece!
What Else Can I Serve with Keto King Cake Bars?
Since this is a fabulous low net carb dessert recipe for a Mardi Gras event, I would serve with appetizers. Check out my fabulous Keto Meatball ideas to complete your party!
Looking to Complete Your Keto Mardi Gras Celebrations? You Will Love These Recipes!
8 x 8 pan
Non-stick aluminum foil
Large mixing bowl
Small mixing bowl
Ziplock bags (for colored sugars)
I do not want to use Swerve, can I use another sugar replacer?
I typically use Swerve in all my recipes, so I do not know how it will taste if you use another sugar replacer. I would like to suggest using Monk Fruit and/or Allulose.
Is Swerve keto?
You bet. Swerve has zero net carb carbohydrates.
Is almond flour keto?
Almond flour is a popular keto flour and is made from crushed almonds. Per 2 tablespoons, almond flour contains 3 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber. While many like to use almond flour in baking, it can also be used as a breading.
Can diabetics have almond flour?
Yes! With it’s low carb count, almond flour is fantastic for diabetics. You can replace the flour in your breading (or any recipe) by using a 1 to 1 ratio. Since almond flour does have some fat, I cut the fat in the recipe by half. Prepare this dessert for the diabetic in your life!
Is this gluten free King Cake?
Since I use almond flour, this is a gluten free king cake. What are you waiting for? Cook this amazing recipe!
24 (petite four size)
NOTE: This recipe was modified from my first website, Skinny Louisiana!
Keto King Cake
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup Swerve granular sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese 1 block
- ½ cup Swerve granular sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¼ cup Swerve confectioners sugar
Colored Swerve Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with non-stick aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sour cream, water, vanilla extract, eggs, egg yolk, and butter.
- Beat with a hand mixer on low for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the mixer and slowly add the following dry ingredients: almond flour, Swerve granular sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine with a spatula.
- Beat for 2 minutes on low or until all ingredients are combined. Place aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine cream cheese, ½ cup of Swerve confectioners sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Layer in a baking pan the following pattern: ½ flour mixture, cream cheese mixture, and remaining ½ flour mixture in pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes OR until set.
- While cooling, mix heavy whipping cream and Swerve confectioners sugar in a small bowl. Pour glaze on king cake.
- Sprinkle with Swerve colored sugars.
- Cut into small bars and serve!
- The carbohydrates in the calculation is determined by the carbohydrates - the sugar alcohol from the Swerve. (12 total carbs - 7.5 sugar alcohols from the Swerve = 4.5 grams of carbs.)
- 12 (carbs) - 2 (fiber) - 7.5 (sugar alcohol) = 2.5 grams of net carbs
- If you use a different sugar replacer, these values will be off.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of Swerve granular sugar in a ziplock bag.
- Sprinkle in 1-2 drops of food coloring.
- Shake the bag until all Swerve granular sugar is colored.